DKY helped Winnebago kick off an integrated marketing communications campaign with a reveal of the eRV2.
In January 2022, Winnebago Industries debuted its first-ever electric RV concept known as the eRV, sparking great interest in what would come next from the renowned industry pioneer. Fast forward one year, and the corporation’s flagship brand, Winnebago, was prepared to reveal an all-electric, zero-emission RV prototype of its own, aptly named the eRV2. This fully operational prototype is the first of its kind from an American manufacturer.
To meet the moment, DKY helped Winnebago kick off an integrated marketing communications campaign with a staged reveal of the eRV2 at the January 2023 Florida RV SuperShow in Tampa. The setting provided a perfect opportunity to reinforce Winnebago’s position as an innovator and industry pioneer that’s blazing a trail for the burgeoning #eVANLIFE movement.
Our team of creative thinkers and marketing communications experts conducted multiple brainstorms and combed through market research to strategize how Winnebago could build excitement around the eRV2 introduction and sustain interest in the prototype in the months leading up to the commercial launch.
We ultimately developed a three-phased approach comprising early-, mid- and late-stage marketing tactics. Early stage activities took place between December 2022 and March 2023. Highlights of our work included:
- Collaborating with internal stakeholders to establish the campaign strategy, key messages, program pathway and tactical expansion.
- Developing the creative playbook to establish the campaign’s unifying idea “Join the #eVanlife Movement,” as well as creative and art direction for omni-channel content.
- Developing an eye-catching camouflage wrap to reinforce the eRV2’s prototype status and build anticipation for the commercial launch. The hand-drawn illustration featured famous cityscapes, destinations and scenes to inspire dreams of zero-emission cross-country travel.
- Producing a studio shoot to develop omni-channel content that would build hype, generate leads and demonstrate the pioneering spirit of the brand. Assets included images, as well as a :15, :30 and two-minute video for owned, paid and earned media channels.
- Producing the launch event for the eRV2 at the Florida RV SuperShow, which included designing the brand display area and writing a speech that Winnebago President Huw Bower delivered to a crowd of invited media and show attendees.
- Promoting “Ride-and-Drives” for media and the general public, giving them a unique opportunity to test drive the eRV2 on show grounds and share their feedback.
- Conducting a strategic media relations campaign involving exclusive offers to three top-tier media outlets, Car and Driver, Outside, and RV Magazine, for early access to information about the eRV2 and the opportunity to take the vehicle for a multi-day test drive later in the year (as part of the Mid-Stage Marketing strategy).
Part two of this series about DKY’s support of the eRV2 reveal will highlight the great work of the creative team in generating excitement during the weeks leading up to the announcement and setting the stage for the big reveal.
In part three, we’ll describe the media relations effort that resulted in nearly two billion impressions and positive coverage in major news outlets and influencer blogs, including Forbes, Car and Driver, Uncrated and Discovery Bound RV.
Stay tuned for future posts that describe DKY’s Mid- and Late-Stage Marketing work around the eRV2 promotion campaign. In the meantime, for more information on how DKY can help you develop an effective integrated marketing communications campaign, please contact us.